If your child is looking to progress into the exciting world of climbing, then The National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme here at Reading Climbing Centre is for them.
NICAS is the only nationally recognised scheme that introduces new climbers to climbing on indoor walls. The scheme focuses on making young climbers, getting them hooked for life, and giving them the tools to make this happen. Working through skill development, all safety aspects as well as climbing ability, the 5 awarding levels have the perfect progression for all young climbers aged 7 and above.
Aims Of The Scheme
- to develop climbing movement skills and improve levels of ability.
- to learn climbing rope-work and how to use equipment appropriately.
- to develop risk assessment and risk management skills in the sport.
- to work as a team, communicate with, and trust a climbing partner.
- to provide a structure for development, motivation and improved performance.
- to develop an understanding of the sport, it’s history and future challenges.
- to provide a record of personal achievement.
- to point the way to further disciplines and challenges in climbing beyond the scheme.
Structure Of The Scheme
The Scheme comprises five levels of award aimed at complete novices to expert climbers. The scheme is split into two parts; Part 1 contains Levels 1 and 2 and Part 2 contains Levels 3 to 5. Upon registering with NICAS at Reading Climbing Centre candidates receive a log booklet for Levels 1 and 2 and a log binder with booklet for Levels 3 to 5. After achieving each level they are awarded with a certificate on behalf of the ABCTT.
The five levels are:
An entry level aimed at novices that recognises their ability to climb safely under supervision.
Top Rope Climber
Aimed at promoting good practice in climbing and bouldering unsupervised on an artificial wall.
A more advanced top roping and bouldering level that focuses on developing technique and movement skills.
Concentrates on the skills required to both lead climb and belay a lead climber.
The top level that focuses on improving performance, a deeper understanding of climbing systems and the wider world of climbing.
To book your space call us on 0118 975 6298.